Monday, December 19, 2011

and then there were four

Amy in the early stages of labor.

Dressed from head to toe in scrubs, I stood alone in a room at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on a Saturday night.  Down the hall, behind two sets of secured double doors, Amy lay on an operating table, fully dilated and experiencing strong contractions.  She had been wheeled into the operating room moments earlier when, after a 23-hour induction, the decision was made to proceed with a vaginal delivery.  I was instructed to change into scrubs and wait.

After a few minutes, I spotted a familiar looking nurse walking by.  “They are still preparing the room. We’ll come and get you soon,” she explained before disappearing behind steel double doors.  Time seemed frozen as I waited, pacing under fluorescent lights, realizing that our lives were about to forever change.

Finally the signal came.  I followed a nurse into the operating room where Amy lay on a table, surrounded by eight or nine doctors and nurses.  She was already pushing.

I took Amy’s left hand and began counting aloud in unison with two doctors positioned near her feet. “One – Two –Three – Four – Five – Six – SEV-en – EIGHT – NINE – TEN.”   And a big push.  Then another 10-count on top of the push.  We watched the monitor, waiting for the next contraction to begin.  This process repeated with increasing intensity until the top of a baby’s head could be seen.  We were getting very close.  I leaned over the table, looked at Amy and said, “I’m not going to hold your hand through the next one because you’re going to do it this time.”  With that, I scooted to the opposite end of the table and watched as our first baby was born at 11:27 pm.  I will never forget the amazing sound of her rapid gasps and cries upon first breath.

Within minutes, “Baby A” was lying in my arms, pressed close to my chest. “Does she have a name?” a nurse asked.

“This is Emily,” I replied, locking eyes with our daughter.  It was the best feeling in the world, like looking deep into another universe. I turned to Amy, who was quickly back at work, and introduced Emily.  Amy’s face lit up.  But there was more to come, and Amy was getting distracted.  The doctors told her to focus.

I held Emily as I watched her sister Madeline arrive at 11:35 pm.  And just like that, in a span of eight minutes, our family of two became a family of four.

Thank you, Amy.  I love you.

Emily Claire Redgate
Born on December 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm
Weight: 5 lbs, 8 oz
Length: 18 1/4 inches

Madeline Ida Redgate
Born on December 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm
Weight: 4 lbs, 3 oz
Length: 16 3/4 inches
In the recovery room, one hour after the birth.  Emily on the left, Madeline on the right.

4 comments:

  1. Calling Dr. Redgate. Amy must have been horrified seeing you in this Halloween costume. Very nice, extremely well written blog entry.

    PS Big Wave is hiring writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how incredibly sweet. Congratulations to you both. They are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Predgate! Congrats to you all, I am so happy for your family. xo

    ReplyDelete